What building has the heaviest front doors?
A: Cathedral of St.
Joseph. Its large bronze
doors cannot be manually opened.
What building most exemplifies 1950’s restaurant architecture?
A: The former Aetna Diner (also operated as The Oasis, Comet and
Hog River Grille, Mississippi Grille and now is opened as Dishes).
Farmington Avenue building was a private residence of a former
A: Everett John Lake, Republican governor from 1921-1923, lived
at 551-53 Farmington Avenue. His house, located at the corner of
Whitney Street, is now an office for West End Eye Care and others.
What building housed a car dealership and hosted go-go dancing?
A: The Wall
What building served as a carriage house for a large Farmington
A: There are several carriage houses in active use. Two are used
for artistic purposes – The
Hartford Children’s Theatre and Albano
Ballet and Performing Arts Center; two are located at Nook Farm
and are used as a visitor center and offices.
What drug store fills over 50% of its prescriptions with help from
A: Arrow Pharmacy.
Where is the largest wood-frame
office building on Farmington Avenue?
A: At the corner of So. Marshall Street and Farmington Avenue.
What area was known as “Little Hollywood" and why?
A: The Frederick, Owen, Denison Street area, now known as Clemens
Place. The apartments were filled with single employees of Hartford
companies who were known for throwing parties in the roaring 1920’s.
Where is one of the few Georgian
style buildings in Hartford?
A: At the corner of Marshall Street and Farmington Avenue.